Living From the Spiritual Heart – Interact

Learn  –  Interact  –  People  –  Resources

Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6

Praying for each other in whatever way feels right to you is the most important part of this community.

You may journal in any way you wish: in a notebook, using art, or by adding a thought, comment, or journal entry with the class. By sharing a journal entry publicly below, you offer encouragement and a chance to share your journey with others who are in this course as well. Feel free to prayerfully respond to an entry someone else has made as well.

Comment below (fill in your name and email the first time you post) and ‘Post Comment’.  Press ‘Reply’ then ‘Post Comment’ to respond to another person’s comment (even if you simply type ‘thank you’).

Enjoy!

January 01, 2024 by Tilden Edwards 9 Comments
Notify of
guest

9 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Sandra Nesbit
Sandra Nesbit
10 days ago

TE WK1 question 1: Yearning
Spiritual community continues to be a yearning for me. So I am looking forward to e-meeting all of you!

TE WK1 question 2: My connection with description of Spiritual Heart
There were several points of connection for me…along with some points which I hope to bring to closer connection. The point with which I am most familiar is “Next Step”.  In my experience God gives but one step at a time.  As a result, I find I need to “lean into” (not a phrase I’ve used often and find useful now) my trust of process and of the Spirit within  me.  Without both the perceived receipt of the appropriate next step and the trust I put in the validity of that step…I may not move at all.

Anne Martin
Anne Martin
9 days ago

I am grateful for Sandra’s comments regarding “next step.” In response to Tilden’s question 2, identifying a hope for the weeks ahead, I named hoping for a sense of guidance regarding next step(s). Sandra, your comments about trust of process/Sprit, “perceived receipt” of a next step and trust in it’s validity ring so true. Thank you.

Sandra Nesbit
Sandra Nesbit
6 days ago
Reply to  Anne Martin

Hi Anne! Thank you so much for connecting with me/my comment. It’s what I mean by community. I wish you blessings on your “next step”. May you experience a deep knowing…even if the step is only a tiny baby step! Sandra

Ann Kelley
Ann Kelley
9 days ago

Ann Kelley

Let us pray for one another that we deeply desire to live from our spiritual heart, our true Home, and that the Spirit guides us to really live that way.
This is an invitation for deeper conversion for me, to consistently desire a union with my true self, the Self in the Divine Beloved, and to love out of that center, that Home.

Sandra Nesbit
Sandra Nesbit
2 days ago
Reply to  Ann Kelley

A prayer for us all, especially Ann. Holy One, may we all live your dream for us. Amen.

Wendy Lomicka
Wendy Lomicka
5 days ago

Q1: The yearning that brought me here is a need for the support of God and community as I navigate a transition. A desire to learn and start new practices during Lent.
Q2: What resonated for me is a hunger to detach from “grinding” away in the realms of the head and the ego and a desire to live more deeply from the truth of myself.

Jane Gould
Jane Gould
2 days ago

Poem for Lent

The cosmos dreams in me
while I wait in stillness,
ready to lean a little further
into the heart of the Holy.

I, a little blip of life,
a wisp of unassuming love,
a quickly passing breeze,
come once more into Lent.

No need to sign me
with the black bleeding ash
of palms, fried and baked.
I know my humus place.

This Lent I will sail
on the graced wings of desire,
yearning to go deeper
to the place where
I am one in the One.

Oh, may I go there soon,
in the same breath
that takes me to the stars
when the cosmos dreams in me.

~ Joyce Rupp, joycerupp.com/lent-2001/

This Joyce Rupp poem speaks to my desire to live from the Spiritual Heart even as my prayer time this morning reflected the distracted tugs of my ego and thinking mind. But I trust that God knows my longing, and that God’s desire for me is that I might abide in the heart of the holy.

My prayer for each of us is that we might “wait in stillness, ready to lean a little further into the heart of the Holy… yearning to go deeper to the place where I am one in the One.”

Sandra Nesbit
Sandra Nesbit
2 days ago
Reply to  Jane Gould

Jane, thank you so much for the Rupp poem. I so appreciate the words and your thoughtfulness. Sandi

Sandra Nesbit
Sandra Nesbit
2 days ago

Week 2 Reflection response.
How living from my spiritual heart makes a difference:

What I notice most and most immediately is physical:  It slows me down.  Sometimes I am stopped entirely.  Sometimes the slow-down leads directly to reflection.  Other times to confusion, as my Ego and Thinking selves (ET) vie for dominance.

Sadly…in spite of the blessed gift of graced awareness that sometimes challenges “where I’m coming from,” I don’t always stop and reflect.  Happily…when I do knock myself, or get knocked, off the treadmill of circular thinking and/or egoic reaction, I can usually spot what’s going on.  At this point I have two choices.  I can berate myself for falling into old and unhealthy practices (not helpful).  Or I can simply let it go and pray for the courage and patience to both adjust my path and slooooooooow down next time.

After decades of working on this I can honestly say that I’m less transactional and more reflective in my everyday living.  I’m grateful for that for sure.  Still, I can’t help but feel, “too soon old, too late smart.”  I don’t think I’m unusual in this.  There is always more work to do.  Always.

Mission

Our mission is to nurture contemplative living and leadership.

Vision

In 2025, Shalem will be a dynamic and inclusive community, empowered by the Spirit, where seekers engage in transformation of themselves, their communities, and the world through spiritual growth, deep connection, and courageous action.